The Tenerife company Abubukaka returns one more year to the International Street Art Festival, Mueca. His sketches and parodies have become a habit and one of the main attractions of the Festival. This Thursday they will premiere `Gutter Deluxe´, a humorous miscellany attached to the present where we will once again see the most comical and thug Abubukaka. Meanwhile, they are preparing an adaptation of Bram Stoker's play `Dracula` for its premiere in the fall. And it is that as the four Abubukaka Carlos Pedrós, Amanhuy Calayanes, Víctor Hubara -who answers the interview- and Diego Lupiañez acknowledge, “these are good times for humor”.
– Abubukaka has become one of the most anticipated companies in Mueca, what will you surprise us with in this edition?
– With a new show, of course. This year we have a good handful of highly topical sketches, more music and somersaults. All sprinkled with the dose of nonsense that characterizes us.
– What is `Gutter Deluxe´?
– A new humorous miscellany in which topics such as the situation of public health, social passivity, moonlighting, manipulation of the press and reggaeton will be discussed. In short, a collection of aspects of reality treated as a good jester would treat them.
– After years coming to Puerto de la Cruz to participate in Mueca, how do you see the evolution of the Festival?
– With great enthusiasm. The evolution of the Festival is undeniably positive and we, who feel attached to it in a special way, experience its growth with great satisfaction.
– Save me Deluxe loses audience. On the other hand, Abubukaka does not stop achieving success, what is the secret?
- We do not know. We assume that the key is to insist, insist again and insist again.
– Café theater or street theater?
– We adapt to any habitat. It is true that street theater has become more affectionate in recent years for the simple reason that we do not stop performing at street events and, of course, one gets used to living outdoors.
– How have social networks influenced the evolution of the company?
– A lot, it cannot be denied that Abubukaka and social networks have always gone hand in hand. The relationship has many peculiarities insofar as we have always defined ourselves as a comedy theater company, but somehow we have found a gap in the virtual world and that has had an impact on our progression.
– With what three words would you define the situation of theater in the Archipelago?
– Trench theatre.
– Are these good times for the comedians who are working in the Canary Islands?
– The data says yes. Comedians have proliferated in recent years and many have been enormously successful. Overall, these are good times for humor.
– Who has been the comedian who has most influenced Abubukaka?
- Mariano Rajoy.
– What are the projects still waiting for Abubukaka for this year?
– After the premiere of `Cuneta Deluxe´ will be the premiere of our particular adaptation of Bram Stoker's play `Drácula` in October.
– Finally, how do you imagine the members of Abubukaka in 30 years?
– Same, a little older and much less wise.