The Ruggeds defines itself as a family. And his story is told in the piece 'Between us'. Roy Overdijk, choreographer of this show, assures that the Dutch company goes beyond the break dance and that “is what makes them unique”. The Dutch feel comfortable dancing in battles of this discipline, in theaters, cinemas or on the street itself.
- The Ruggeds come from break dance and urban dance, something that is not associated with theaters. How do you adapt to these types of scenarios?
Since we were children we have been fans of work in cinemas and theaters. We are very familiar with these types of scenarios. In it break It is very important that you know the bases and fundamentals of the dance in order to create your own way of moving and being original. We use the same approach in our work on conventional stages. We talk to the right people, stay open to the new, learn from the best, and stay true to ourselves.
- What do they mean when they say they take steps that other groups of break do not perform? Could you give an example?
We don't just limit ourselves to the battles of break, to a way of moving or to a single musical genre. The steps we took outside these limits are what made us who we are today and will continue to shape us in the future. We are comfortable in many different worlds…in theater, on movie sets, in commercial shows, and of course, in battles. break.
Right now we also produce events. We have a dance school and we are the choreographers and creative directors. There are many different areas in which we learn something new every day. Doing this with your peers, the ones you grew up with, sounds abstract to most, and maybe it is. But we feel it naturally and it has been something that has just happened to us.
- They define themselves as a family, but what kind of family are they?
We are a family that is not united by blood, but by experiences. Some of us grew up in the same neighborhood and even now live a block or two apart. We have been knowing each other and working together for almost 20 years. We see each other every day and a bond so special has been created that I don't think it will ever be lost.
- In 'Between us' the scenery seems paramount. But so is the choreography or the music. How many people have worked on this piece?
'Between us' is a show about us and made by us: from the choreography to the staging; from the costumes to the music. We have done everything ourselves. We had the help of our technician and a graphic designer to bring our ideas to life. We also had two external people to observe the development of the work and our effort, which helped a lot.
- This piece tells the story of a family. Do you think that each family is a different universe?
Everyone's family is different and shapes the person in its own way.
- Do you think that the family of each one of you has influenced the creation of this piece?
Yes, it has influenced and I think that has made it unique.